Sunday, May 9, 2010

GOD (YHWH) vs. Money

When I think about this statement, GOD vs. Money it shred my body. Money, a strong competitor for GOD! How dare? I remember in one of my leadership classes, the resource person quoted, “When Jesus said, ’Repent‘ what does it imply; repent from what?” Many said, “Repent from sin”. But He said, “Repent from your love for money”. I really did not agree and understand the deep and profound thought that was laid before. Later did I realize what he quoted was so profound.
I am known for procrastination, the latest is in writing this article. I drafted this article more than a month ago. But, as I am having a special trait of postponing things, here at last I pen this down. Whenever I think of the word ‘Procrastination’, I am always reminded of my college mate, Guru. He once mentioned, “Never Procrastinate”, which always rings in my mind.
Before writing this article, I went out to my balcony and saw a pigeon’s nest. The pigeons do not have a storing unit. On the other side, Crows are peaking on the food offered by my neighbours. Jesus said, “Do not worry” and gives a wonderful analogy about birds, flowers and King Solomon in Matthew 6: 25 – 34. To conclude He says “Seek he first the kingdom……..all these things will be given to you as well”.
I was wondering, how Jesus could make such a statement. I (we) live in a fast paced life with so many commitments like family, relationship, career, money, studies, job, marriage, success, fame, failure, desires and what not! Did Jesus knowing all this, did he say, “Do not worry”? After my little experience in Delhi I can boldly say, “YES”. In spite after seeing and experiencing all this, Jesus said “Do not worry”. Strange ah! I am awestruck after my Delhi experience.

I would like to draw a relationship with the verse “the harvest is plenty, but the workers are few”. In Delhi I had wonderful bible studies. There was a lot of sharing and discussion. In the end a major concern and prayer point would be - please pray for Delhi, as there are more than 1 million college students and we only have 1 full time staff, with 2 associate staff. There is an inappropriate ratio between staff and the number of students.
The person who prays would refer to the verse ‘laborers are few... harvest is plenty’. I would challenge each and everyone, why not be available for GOD - Evangelistic Ministry for at least two years? If everyone takes turns, then there would be enough staff for His mission. I know it would cost you a lot. Are you worried about your spouse, children, their education, food, clothing, shelter and are you worried that the pleasures that you are enjoying so far would all crumble down? So, don’t you trust GOD? Yes, don’t you trust GOD? We all say that HIS word is the truth, and what He said will come to pass. Then why not give a try and trust him? According to what I have experienced, the GOD who called me is faithful till date. I did not lack anything. In fact, I have enough to bless others.

Who are the poor? I don’t want to give a definition and label them. People on the street are one such group. I am always amazed about their survival, though they don’t have as much as those people who live in houses and apartments have or earn. Then how do they survive? Well let me answer, Matthew Chapter 6 does work here. God provides. Because they don’t have anything, they will gladly accept whatever comes their way. In Delhi the poor can easily survive over here, everyday, people distribute food to everyone irrespective of class, creed or caste. We (Those who have) are so fussy about water, we, generally prefer mineral or purified water, but, the poor are not bothered. Water from any source is water for them. They sleep wherever they find place; if they are chased away they is always another place. I really wonder why Jesus always referred and mentioned about the poor? Did He like them more than the rich? Was He more concerned about the poor than the rich?

My friends’ claim that because I am supported by my family, I am thinking about GOD, mission and ministry. Imagine, if you were to support your family, would you not be thinking of how to make more money for the family. They say, “Emmanuel I can think about GOD because He will help me financially. Emmanuel, how would you respond if you were in my state?” I was shocked, because reality is hard and raw. I am not sure, what my response would be. May be I would think of GOD as a monetary source. Money, a strong strong competitor to GOD - I can’t comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment